Monday, April 14, 2014

You're a Star

My sweet, littlest girl loves to dress up and sing and dance. We knew we needed to get her into dance pronto. That was 2 years ago.  Well, she just absolutely loved it and would come home singing the dance songs. I was excited for the recital and so was she. Back to the songs, coincidentally, I had been singing to her every night. We usually did three songs. Two were selected from traditional nursery rhyme songs - rock-a-my-baby (not rock-a-bye-baby - LOL), twinkle twinkle, hush little baby - and the last was always Just what makes that little old ant. I think that's a rather unique song to sing to your daughter every night but my mom sang it to me and I sang it to my girls and they just loved it.

Imagine my surprise when the dance recital music came home and that was one of the two dance numbers?!?! I was soo giddy. And the teacher was quite surprised that Reese knew the song already. Win - win! The other song was Don't Eat the Daisies, a movie starring Doris Day. I am a big, huge fan of her comedies so I was super excited for that dance number too.  I was worried that Reese would be afraid to perform on stage but that little princess was so confident about it each time we talked about it. I should have known that she'd feel at home on stage.

Here's a layout of her dancing to Don't Eat the Daisies, from last May. It was punch week on the American Crafts blog so that was my initial inspiration.
Supplies: Knock-Outs Punch Star 1.5” (KOP63102), Paper Planes 12x12 Paper (366748) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Bike Ride 12x12 Paper (366751) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, 6x6 Paper Pad (366767) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Enamel Dots (366785) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Wood Buttons (366796) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Thickers Printed Chipboard Letter Stickers (366773) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Printed Chipboard Shapes (366789) – Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer, Thickers Kal Barteski Foam Letter Stickers - Black (366830) – Amy Tangerine Plus One, Thickers Puffy Letter Stickers (53036) – Dear Lizzy

I used a combination of 12x12 papers and the 6x6 paper pad from the Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer collection as well as the Knock-outs 1.5" Star Punch.

To create the large star, I punched a small star and then traced it with a black marker. I then imported that image into Silhouette and traced it to make a cutting file. You can DOWNLOAD IT HERE.


I embellished the stars by adding some wonky stitching, enamel dots, doodling, etc. I couldn't resist that large yellow bow.

I placed the photo to the bottom right portion of the start, offset so that I could put the title and journaling inside the star.

Miss Reese is in year 2 of dance and still loving it. She has her second recital at the end of this month and I just can't wait! I'm sure I'll be posting some of the photos to Instagram if you care to see them before they make it on a layout (since this one took almost a year).

Thanks for stopping by today. Now go on and get crafty!

6 comments:

ALINE said...

Ownnn... This layout is very cute!

Kim said...

saw this over on the AC blog had to come over to leave some love !! its gorgeous!

Dictionary said...

Cute layout, love all the stars and the sewing is a nice touch!

Diana Fisher said...

Love how this turned out! Cute page!

Mary Jo said...

Gorgeous page, Heather!

Rhonda said...

Such an AWESOME layout!! Love it. :o)