Friday, April 4, 2014

Enjoy Today | It's Beautiful

I gotta shout from the roof tops just how much I LOVE the Simple Stories DIY Boutique collection. The colors are just so bright and fun and it has such a great mix of patterns, from stripes, to polka dots, chevrons, flowers, basics, you name it, it's there. And if you haven't learned yet...I love mixing patterns.

Let me walk you through this layout I created to document a day at the park with my littlest girl.
 


I wanted to pull out the yellow color in the tire swing so I chose to use the yellow and white polka dot paper as my background. And, I knew I wanted to use the floral paper because it matches my daughter's shirt perfectly. Third, I knew I wanted to use all those fabulous sticker, brads and enamel dots in a big way. First, though, I had to create a foundation for them so I stitched a strip of the red paper across the page and then folded the edges up, allowing them to tear here and there.
 

See? See how perfectly that floral paper matched my daughter's shirt. I couldn't have planned it any better. LOL. I added a multi-colored black polka dot frame over a section of vellum to help soften the floral pattern just a bit. I offset the photo to the left of my page. I used foam dots to adhere a couple of sentiment stickers.


 


To create this cluster of embellishments, I knew I needed to use at least 3 different shapes. I chose hearts, flowers and butterflies. I started by placing the largest shapes first and then the medium pieces. I tucked a few under my photo mats and let some hang off the left and right side of the page. Then the little bits filled in the gaps perfectly. If you look closely, you can see that I added 3 yellow sentiment stickers on the yellow paper. I like the subtly of it scattered here and there.

So, that's my layout today. I hope this inspired you to grab all your embellishments packs you've been hoarding and put them to use to create a fun little clustered embellishment page. I think that would make a great weekend project.

Thanks for stopping by today.

DIY Boutique Supplies:
6x6 paper pad | 5122Chipboard | 5128Brads | 5127Yellow Chevron/Dots | 5116Stickers - Boutique | 5141
Enamel Dots - Teal, Red & Yellow | 5129Enamel Dots - Pink, Green & Orange | 5130Stickers - Icons | 5140Stickers - Words | 5142

3 comments:

Tracey said...

I saw this over on the SS blog!! It is awesome!!

Chocoscrapaholic said...

I normally shy away from yellow, but WOW!! Love this, Heather. :)

KrissyClarkMcKee said...

Absolutely adore every single thing about this!!!!!!!! Gorgeous!