Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kid Fabulous

There's something I just love about the title for this layout.  I switched the words to be opposite how you would normally say it and it really defines this new little super hero princess KID Fabuloussssssssssss!

Anyway, here today bringing you a different spin on my Pattern Play feature that I do over on the Gossamer Blue blog. I usually like to show you how I add a GAZILLION different patterns to a layout while still keeping a nice, cohesive look.

Well, today, I'm gonna show you how I chose to tone down a busy page overlay with a gazillion pre-printed patterns so that I could ensure my photos didn't get lost on the page.

Supplies: Gossamer Blue January Main Kit, Main Addon 2, Life Pages Kit, Life Pages Addon, Life Pages Themes Addon


I started this layout knowing that I wanted to use the Pink Paislee Hey Kid paper overlay for these fantastic photos of my little girl. No, these are not Halloween photos. She would dress this way every day if she could. The thing is, when I placed the photos on the paper, they just got lost. The thing I love about this paper is that every circle has some sort of graphic treatment. That was also the thing that caused my photo to get lost. I placed the overlay over several light colored, small pattern papers but that just made it busier. I finally decided to use white for the background.


Next, I decided to hand cut the colored graphic patterns out of some of the circles. Realizing how long that would take for the amount that I wanted to cut out, I quickly decided to cut 1 3/4" white cardstock circles on my CAMEO and then placed them over the patterns. This worked out great because I could move them around.

I ended up covering 10 pattern-filled circles with 10 white textured cardstock circles. Then I started working on the layers for my photo. I used various patterns, mixing together Gossamer Blue exclusive paper and wood veneer with a Crate overlay, October Afternoon and Pink Paislee papers and embellishments. It sounds like a hodge podge but I like how they all worked together.

Lastly, I started to fill in some of the white circles. I chose to leave 3 or 4 of them white but if you know me, I like to embellish. I used vellum embellishments, wood veneer, 3D chipboard stickers, die cuts and more. I even cut a few more sentiment circles and popped them up on the page. My favorite might be the little cluster of embellishments I used in the upper right corner. Or maybe it's the bow tie heart. No, it's the #4 signifying her age. Or maybe...

I really love how this page came together and how I toned down some of the more graphic patterns just to build it back up again with my own patterns. Thanks for stopping by today.

I'd love it if you'd stop over to the Gossamer Blue blog and let me know what you think of my project over there. Did you know that you can post your layouts to our Member Gallery and they don't even have to be Gossamer Blue kit projects.

3 comments:

TeenaBugg38 said...

i love the extra dimension you added with some of the circles popped up. I didn't realize at first that the circle pattern was actually a patterned paper, I thought you had punched all of those....lol. Love the layout :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!!! I love the costume too:) She is a spitfire I bet! I am glad you showcased this paper, I thought it would be hard to use...you make it easy and lovely too!

Leslie Germain said...

Very neat idea. Thanks for sharing your great layout!