Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Aquarium Life

Here's this week's Nuts About Sketches Sketch. This was a great layout to capture 9 photos on one spread and I had the perfect set of photos.
The sketch really made me challenge myself. I didn't want to add too many patterns since the pictures would make the layout busy enough as it was and since it left little room for embellishments I really had to think through this. Here's my layout. BTW, I have no idea why there are white tigers at the aquarium.
Since I was focusing on our recent trip to the Downtown Houston Aquarium and I didn't want to make the layout too busy I decided to make waves.  This gave me a chance to use all that vellum I had stashed away that I never use anymore.  I used 3 different colors of vellum. I cut the waves out of the darkest color first, then I cut another set of waves to overlap in the empty spaces of the first set of waves and then I repeated with the 3rd piece of vellum.  To make it look like an ocean wave I drew white lines and dots on the edges and sporatically placed "whitecaps" at the top of some of the waves and on the dots of the i's, made of tiny irredescent pearly bits that were strung together like pearls. I also added them to other elements of the layout.
Lastly, I used two sets of ribbon as a border to the bottom photos.  I wanted to make the ribbon look like a wave so I ran the top ribbon like a loop, placing it down with a glue dot, then running it over my finger to make the loop and adhering it back down on another glue dot and repeated that many, many times. 

No comments: