Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Walk to Remember

Wow, 2 posts in one day. If you missed my news this morning check out my 1st post from earlier today.

I am SOOO happy to announce that I was selected to be on the Scrapbook Circle Design Team for the next 6 months. I loved their kits so much that when my girlfriend, Audrey, told me about the DT call I sent my application right in. I got my first kit, Happy Days, about a week ago and OMG it is AMAZING.  We have got some great things lined up for the month of February and I don't want to give too much away but be on the lookout for some HOPPIN' good opportunities to get your hands on your very own kit.  Until then, I'm gonna kick off the 1st project of February with something we like to call One Item Wonder.

Do you ever get something and WONDER what you will do with that ONE ITEM?  I am here to show you today what you can do with the transparency that came in February's Happy Days kit.  I also created this layout for the February Crop Suey Challenge, which is to use 9 different types of items on a project.

The dreaded transparency (actually, I am really fond of these but I felt it needed dramatic effect). The one I was given to work with is the yellow framed one on the bottom left with red metallic graph lines inside.
And now my layout:
Supplies: Pink Paislee Sweetness Pretty Lace Paper, Glitz Hoopla Polka Paper, October Afternoon Modern Homemaker Cheery Pie Paper, transparency, Basic Grey paper labels, Staz-On, Cosmo Cricket Alphas, Ribbon

 So, check out how I did it and then head over to today's blog post at Scrapbook Circle to see what Diana W did with her transparency (and to leave some LOVE):
  1. I took my x-acto knife and cut out the inside of the transparency to make a frame and adhered it to the photo to draw attention to the cute little kiddos.
  2. I stamped a swirly image using black staz-on to the leftover transparency.
  3. I cut out 4 scalloped circles.  The transparency is SUPER thick and my punch would not penetrate it so I hand cut them. It doesn't have to be perfect because of what you will do next.
  4. I took my heat embosser to them and melted away.  They ended up curling up A LOT so while they were still warm I just kind of scrunched them in my hands. Disclaimer: use gloves to avoid heat injury.
  5. I re-heated them if I didn't like the way they looked when cooled and it worked like a charm. Some of the transparency turned white, I guess where I applied the most heat and I really liked the effect.
  6. Once I was happy with them I applied them to my layout - 1 as an accent on the middle right and the other 3 are stacked on top of each other on the bottom left. 
Here's a close-up of the stacked "flower":

How cool is that?  And did you pay attention to what my 9 items were? I used Pattern Paper, a Photo Corner, Journaling, faux Lace Borders, a Transparency, a Label, StazOn Ink, Ribbon, a Button, Flowers, Alphas. Okay, so maybe I used more than 9 :) Make sure to head over to Crop Suey starting on February 5th to learn more about the challenge and how you can enter for a chance to win the prize from our fabulous sponsor.

And what are you waiting for? Lisa still has a few of the February Happy Days kits left so get yours hands on one while you can. :)

10 comments:

Jocelyn said...

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this LO!!!!! You did an awesome job with it!!! Thanks for the how to's!!!!

Wishing you a great day!!!!

Diana Fisher said...

I am beyond excited to be working with you at Scrapbook Circle. And I love what you did for your first OIW. I knew you'd kick butt with that!! :)

Audrey Yeager said...

So funny to read that I am your "girlfriend". lol.... Maybe girl friend. idk...anyways, LOVE how the transparency worked out and I think this is a great idea for SBC!! Off to check out the blog!

Lea said...

Congratulations on all the good news!!! Amazing layout! The heat gun to the transparency pieces is brilliant!!!

Diana Waite said...

this layout is GORGEOUS!! I LOVE how you trimmed up the transparency and made a flower--AMAZING! :) So glad we can work together AND we have pages the same day!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much everyone!!!!

@Audrey - does that mean you're breaking up with me??? LOL, ya I guess I missed the space there.

Rebecca Keppel said...

Love how you used the transparency! BEautiful layout!

Diane Payne said...

Fabulous layout...you rocked the transparency!

The Scrappy Cottage said...

Amazing layout, love the colors and design......

cjbrandon said...

I never know what to do with transparencies, but your flower idea is something I will definately try. Love the layout.