Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thinking of You Card

Today is my designer's choice day on the Scrapbook Circle blog and I chose to show how I use my scraps. I'm the definition of a hoarder when it comes to my scrap supplies. I have so many papers and embellies that are several years old that I'll never use. I am purging a lot right now but I still can't seem to get rid of that drawer full of scraps that I have. I am making a promise to use more of that stash this year. I'm not saying I won't keep my scraps but I'll only keep the ones I really think I will use in the next 2 - 3 months. 

To kick off this new mindset I went with the most obvious way to use scraps - to create a card.

I used scraps from my Scrapbook Circle Happy Days kit as well as some elements from their digital download (border strip and caption). I love that little thought bubble. That is what actually kicked off the entire concept for this card. That bubble usually represents a thought and what is better than to tell someone you are thinking about them?


Here's a few more ideas of what you can do with scraps:

  •  Cut them into squares or circles and use them as an embellishment or lay them out as a grid on a card or layout. I like it best when no two are alike but they coordinate. I did this in my card above.
  • Use a scrap with a cool design and turn it into a piece of jewelry - adhere to glass shapes with soft edges, dominoes, scrabble pieces; roll thin paper strips tightly around a needle into a ball to make beads, etc, etc.
  • Punch or fussy cut scraps into shapes for a layout or card, like stars, flowers, birds, etc.
  • Adhere scraps to chipboard shapes, letters, frames.
  • Cut scraps into triangles or semi-circles and string them as a banner.
  • Cut scraps into different size circles and layer them on top of each other to make flower-like embellishments, like the one above.
  • I could keep this list going but I want to here from you...

What do you do with your scraps?

3 comments:

Diana Waite said...

my scraps? The ones I REALLY love I tend to do what you do keep 'em. I love finding just the right piece to fill a card or layout. The challenge of using them up is fun too! GREAT card! :)

Unknown said...

This card is beautiful! I really like all of the layering you did. And I like how you trimmed the pink/brown paper.

The Scrapbook Speedway said...

what a great card!i love the layering