Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Surf, Sand y Mi Cabana

I've been debating whether or not to try out for the American Crafts 2011-2012 design team. One of the items needed to apply for the team is an altered project. I honed in on the Mexican aspect of the Margarita collection and turned this little wooden gazebo into a cabana. 

For the cabana, I painted it all different colors (because every wall in the house in the movie Fools Rush In were different colors). Then I used red raffia for the thatch roof. I trimmed the rest out with paper from the Margarita and Hello Sunshine collection. I added the Bienvenidos tag to complete the cabana to welcome out guests!

I used the Just Write journaling cards as the floor inside the cabana. I also used other Just Write cards to fussy cut the margarita and flowers out of. The umbrella/flowers in the Cha Cha pattern paper looked like drink umbrellas to me so I cut one out and threaded the margarita straw through it.

The last little details included stringing laterns up all around the cabana (you can see the laterns through the cabana if you look closely). Oh and since my cabana is nestled on the beach overlooking crystal blue waters I added sand to the floor.

So, who would like to be my first guest?

Supplies: American Crafts Margarita Collection - Cha Cha Paper 35428, Santo Domingo Paper 35430, Empanada Paper 35429, Just Write Journaling Cards, Long Variety Tags; Hello Sunshine Collection - Brilliance Paper 35415, Glow paper 35408, Fanciful paper 35394

I also used these yummy American Crafts lines for my reveal at The Studio this week, which happens to be my last reveal for my term with them.  We have a really great sketch challenge going on over there this week.There are so many fun papers and elements in these collection and it's perfect for our recent beach pics.

Supplies: American Crafts: Hello Sunshine - Kraft 35398, Dandy 35397; Margarita Paper Series - Merengue 35438, Aruba Glitter Finish 35425, Variety Buttons Elements, Printed Long Variety Tags Bits, Cabana Details, Blue Iguana and Melon Varnish Pattern Thickers, Paradise Remarks Dimensional Stickers, Just Write Cards; City Park collection - Mountain Park paper

I had a lot of fun playing with dimension for this layout. I cut the squares out sporadically from the pink paper and then cut a second set of some of them and popped them up but what I love the most is the cut out round border strip. The brown kraft paper was hand-cut and popped up over the round circle-doos. Then I added the drops of water to reflect the splashes of water.

I incorporated my journaling with my title because the rest of the layout already had so much going on with it. Thanks for looking today.

5 comments:

Diana Fisher said...

Oh my goodness, that is amazing!!! And of course you rocked that layout! Fabulously creative today, chickie!

June Houck said...

Ooof! You should go out for the AC DT! I wish I could be your first guest in the cabana :) WOWZA, what a clever project. I love your LO too. You are fabulous, Heather.

Cynthia Baldwin said...

oh, I hope you do try out - that cabana is amazing! Good luck!

Diana Waite said...

okay seriously?!! you better try out!! that cabana is INCREDIBLE!! Love your layout too! :)

mommyof5kidz said...

WOW! LOVE that cabana! How stinkin' creative is that!!!?? Good luck!!!