Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Patriotic Scrapbook Layout: Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Hello everyone, I'm here today with a patriotic layout and free cutting file.  With Memorial Day coming up here in the USA, this idea can serve many purposes. Before I go any further, thanks to all who serve or have served and sacrificed for our freedom!

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave Patriotic Layout


I find inspiration from so many things -- television ads, magazines, art posters, quilts, etc. but the inspiration for today's layout came directly from the photo.  My daughter's shirt, which she wore during a Veteran's Day celebration at her school that her grandfather (United States Navy) was invited to attend, was the muse behind the layout.
I created the peace flag design with curved text using my Silhouette software.  I like to draw everything in the software when I am working with files, so that I know it will all fit perfectly on the page.  This is the design I created, sized to include a 3" x 4" photo.  You can download it free HERE.

Peace flag patriotic layout tutorial

Step 1: Remove grey photo block
Step 2: Ungroup the words from the peace flag and set aside

Step 3: Without moving the peace flag (it's centered perfectly on the page), cut a template of the peace flag using 12" x 12" scrap paper. I've placed my template over text patterned paper so you can easily see, but I actually used white cardstock as my background.

Step 4: Ungroup the peace flag. Cut the blue section and red stripes out of whatever paper you choose.
Step 5: Ungroup the words and arrange them on the page to cut them from your paper of choice.

Step 6: Place your cut pieces inside the template, careful not to glue the template to the paper pieces. Remove the template. Now you have a perfectly spaced and centered peace flag for your patriotic layout.

OPTIONAL: Machine or hand stitch around the sections of the peace sign. You can see my stitching below.

Step 7: Add your words around the circle flag. Make sure your photo will fit before you adhere your title to the page.

Step 8: Add mist splatters around the page and embellishments according to your preference.

Add your photo and journaling. You patriotic layout is now complete! Wishing you a good Memorial Day, spent with family and friends as you honor those who have served their country.

1 comment:

Leslie Germain said...

Love this!! Thanks for sharing the file!!