I created this chalkboard mat with chalk storage for my littlest to draw on and practice her sight words here at home but it's also great for road trip entertainment.
Here's a DIY Chalkboard Mat with Chalk Storage Tutorial for you...
Step 1: Gather your supplies:
- 1 chalkboard placemat from the American Crafts DIY Shop 2 collection
- 2 - 3 pieces of fabric
- Bias tape
- Rhinestones from the American Crafts DIY Shop 2 collection
- Tags (optional)
- Cut the scalloped edges off the placemat. It's okay to have rounded corners.
- Cut the fleece interfacing and the fabric you'll be using for the cover so that they are the same size as the chalkmat. Mine measured 9.5" h x 18" w.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric for the inside pocket that will hold the chalk.
- The 1st piece is 4.5 w x 9.5 h. Hem the left edge and stitch to the mat.
- The 2nd piece is 4.5 w x 5" h. Hem top edge. Place over the 1st piece and stitch the left side over the other.
- Stitch both pieces to the mat on the top, right and bottom side.
- Stitch the mat to the interfacing and fabric.
- Trim the edges.
Step 4: Stitch bias tape around the edges for a clean finish. Make sure to add your ribbon during this step.
Step 5: Adorn with rhinestones.
Step 6: Give it to someone special to play with.
Supplies: American Crafts DIY Shop 2: (369075) - Chalkboard Placemat, (369065) - Bulk Rhinestones